Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Baked Ziti

I am going to post this recipe as it might be my new favorite.  Here's why I liked it....it was fairly simple to throw together, it had plenty of flavor and plenty of sauce AND my kids ALL ate it.  Layne commented that he'd had dishes similar to this one in restaurants and mine was way better.  YAY.  Anyone who knows my husband knows he is brutally honest....so I'm telling you this is a yummy recipe.

Baked Ziti

1 pound ziti pasta (ziti pasta is the big tubular noodles...I didn't have any so I used those smaller spiral-shaped noodles....I swear that's part of why my kids liked it and they're prettier in my opinion too)
1 1/2 TBS olive oil
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlice, pressed
1 tsp. rosemary (you could really taste the rosemary in this...it made me miss my Rosemary plant we grew in Mesquite)
3/4 cup low-fat sour cream
3/4 cup low-fat cottage cheese
1/2 lb. ground turkey
1/4 pound extra-lean ground beef
1 1/2 jars spaghetti sauce - I accidentally dumped in 2 jars, but I have to say, it was perfect...I like lots of sauce.
6 oz. provolone cheese - I didn't have any, so I just used more mozarella
6 oz. mozzarella cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 350

Prepare pasta according to package directions.  In a skillet, heat olive oil and saute' onion till translucent.  Add garlic and rosemary, remove from pan and set aside.  Meanwhile in a small bowl, mix the sour cream and cottage cheese together and set aside.

In that same skillet, cook the turkey and beef together till crumbly and brown.  Drain off the grease by blotting with paper towels (this will lower the fat grams).

Return the onion mixture back to the skillet.  Add the spaghetti sauce and put on low heat to simmer.

In a 9x13 inch pan, start layering.  First spread sauce on the bottom, then a layer of ziti, then sour cream mixture, then a layer of Provolone, then sauce, ziti sour cream mixture, etc.  Keep going till it's all gone.  Then top with mozarealla.

Bake in a preheated oven uncovered for 20 minutes or until heated through.

I served this with a green salad...it was very filling!

No comments:

Post a Comment