Thursday, April 21, 2011

Shepherd's Skillet

I am going to post this recipe because I thought it was really simple and pretty tasty.  Two of my children, who shall remain nameless wouldn't really touch it, but  that's their loss.

Shepherd's Skillet
2 tsp. oilve oil
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic
1 lb. extra-lean ground beef
1 cup oats
3 TBS. ketchup
1 tsp. cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup beef broth
1 TBS. cornstarch
2 1/2 cups mashed potatoes
1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 cup low-fat Cheddar cheese, shredded

In a skillet (oven proof), heat the oil over medium-high heat.  Add onion, garlic, and beef and cook till beef is browned and crumbled.  Drain beef and blot with paper towels (this step will lower the fat grams).  Add oats and stir well to incorporate.

Add ketchup, spices, beef broth, and cornstarch; stir well and allow to simmer on low to thicken slightly.  Heat mashed potatoes and set aside.  Add sour cream to beef mixture and mix again.  Remove skillet from heat and spoon potatoes as evenly as possible over the entire skillet.  Top with Chedder cheese and place skillet under the broiler until the cheese is melted and bubbly. 

**I made a slight variation to this recipe (okay I messed it up).  I forgot to add the sour cream in the meat, so we just added our own when we ate it.  It was really good and Layne thought the adding your own sour cream was better than having it mixed in.   Part of why it was such a quick meal to throw together is because I always have browned hamburger in my freezer and I had already made mashed potatoes the night before and had leftovers.

Will I Make it Again?  Yes!  Especially when we have leftover mashed potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment